Just received this forward which claims to be the result of a bunch of six year olds’ attempts to complete some standard maxims. Pretty funny. Proverbial wisdom & humor!
A first grade teacher collected well-known proverbs. She gave each child in her class the first half of a proverb and asked them to come up with the remainder of the proverb. It’s hard to believe these were actually done by first graders. Their insight may surprise you. While reading these keep in mind that these are first graders… 6-year-olds, because the last one is classic!
1. Better to be safe than… punch a 5th grader.
2. Strike while the… bug is close.
3. It’s always darkest before… Daylight Saving Time.
4. Never underestimate the power of… termites.
5. You can lead a horse to water but… how?
6. Don’t bite the hand that… looks dirty.
7. No news is… impossible.
8. A miss is as good as a… Mr.
9. You can’t teach an old dog new… math.
10. If you lie down with dogs, you’ll… stink in the morning.
11. Love all, trust… me.
12. The pen is mightier than the… pigs.
13. An idle mind is… the best way to relax.
14. Where there’s smoke there’s… pollution.
15. Happy the bride who… gets all the presents.
16. A penny saved is… not much.
17. Two’s company, three’s… the Musketeers.
18. Don’t put off till tomorrow what… you put on to go to bed.
19. Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and… you have to blow your nose.
20. There are none so blind as… Stevie Wonder.
21. Children should be seen and not… spanked or grounded.
22. If at first you don’t succeed… get new batteries.
23. You get out of something only what you… see in the picture on the box.
24. When the blind leadeth the blind… get out of the way.
And the favorite:
25. Better late than… pregnant!!!!