The Writer’s Digest Conference 2011 has already exceeded my expectations by a factor of three. At least! If you’re just joining me, check out yesterday’s coverage of day one which included these presentations:
- The Future of Publishing: Don’t Give Up On Books: Richard Curtis is a sage voice amidst the noise, and a longtime agent.
- Pitch Perfect: Chuck Sambuchino on pitching a manuscript to agents
- Branding Yourself: Dan Blank gives us this rare and valuable opportunity for writers to get some of the best wisdom out there on marketing and community building.
On this crisp Saturday morning a strengthening Pitch Slam undercurrent — fueled by Chuck Sambuchino’s presentation yesterday and literary agent Janet Reid’s selachimorphic pitching pointers — is whipping up the waters. But before writers and agents start speed dating this afternoon, the morning is packed with compelling presentations:
- Marketing Yourself in Digital Age: Guy LeCharles Gonzalez explains why self-marketing is critical for writers.
- Your Publishing Options: Jane Friedman on traditional publishing, indy publishing and self-publishing.
- Putting Fire in Your Fiction: Donald Maass on how to infuse your writing with conviction and passion.
- Ask the Agents Panel: Chuck Sambuchino moderates literary agent panel with Janet Reid, Mary Kole, Jud Laghi, Donald Maass.
- Panel: Do It Yourself Publishing: Jane Friedman moderates panel on DIY publishing with Patricia V. Davis, David Carnoy, Moriah Jovan, April Hamilton.
- Building the Perfect Plot: James Scott Bell on effective plot structuring.
As the pre-conference buzz transforms into real-time conference buzz, more and more participants are commenting and covering the event via social media. What follows is a beta mashup from Saturday morning’s sessions. I’m curating digital artifacts from Twitter, blogs, etc. to tell the digital story of Writer’s Digest Conference 2011, but I’m sure to miss great content. Please tweet me (@virtualDavis) or contact me directly with links to great tweets, blog posts, videos, etc. so that I can add them. Thanks!
- Buzz: Writer’s Digest Conference 2011 (virtualdavis.com)
- Writer’s Digest Conference 2011, Part #1 (virtualdavis.com)
- Fifty Ways to Build an Author Platform (digitalbookworld.com)
- How Perfect Does Your Manuscript Have to Be? (janefriedman.com)